Friday, December 11, 2009

A Reflection & Look to the Future

Today's hard-hitting winter weather gave me a shivering reminder of the impending end to the semester. It is hard to believe that this semester is already winding down, and that this is my final assigned blog post. As I write this entry I will not only reflect on my brief experience as a blogger but I will also take a look at the future of new media. My initial reaction to this class's blog requirement was worry, anxiety and curiosity. As I sat down to write my first post I remember having a hard time coming up with a topic, but eventually decided to look at Wikipedia. Looking back, the length of my first post seems puny and trivial. As the weeks flew by I became more familiar and engaged with the posts. As I started to incorporate my own interests into my posts, they started to become enjoyable to write. I can now look back at the experience as a worthwhile and illuminating one.
Now for a look to the future. The world of new media is currently in a very interesting place with the release of a number of new concepts. The most hyped project is Google Wave, an all-encompassing social networking hub. Google calls it a "personal communication and collaboration tool." Google Wave combines e-mail, instant messaging, wikis, and social networking. As more users join the "wave" its cutting edge features will become more relevant and useful to daily life. The three main components of Google Wave are its combination of conversation and document so that users can both chat, and work while integrating text, photos, video, maps and other media. The ability to share the conversation/document combos, which also allows others to reply, edit, invite and review changes is also a central feature. The live aspects of Google Wave also set it apart as it allows for faster conversations, and real-time edits and interactions. Google Wave has the potential to revolutionize everything about the way we work, play and communicate.

Vevo, the cutting-edge music video website from Google, Sony Music Group and Universal Music Group is another recently launched technology. Vevo is an online premium music and entertainment site that utilizes breakthrough video technology with a user-friendly community. It has been called a Hulu for music videos that may eventually include editorials, and user-created content. It is expected to eventually become the biggest and most innovative music-oriented site in the world.
Although these new technologies have bounds of possibilities, I believe the future of new media lies in projects like the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) initiative which aims to create and distribute affordable XO-1 laptops to every child in the world, especially those in third-world and developing countries. The mission statement of the organization is to "create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning" in the hopes that they will "become connected to each other, to the world and to a brighter future. Ambitious and optimistic initiatives such as these place the future of new media in the hands of bright, but disconnected youth who would otherwise be left in the dark, not able to contribute their fresh ideas to the greater good. With my newfound interest in new media I look forward to observing and participating in the fascinating future of this always-evolving field.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind words about OLPC, particularly about the value of linking currently isolated children together. I have been inspired by Doug Engelbart's vision of Enhancing Collective Intelligence to think about the potential of a network of a billion computer-savvy children for putting an end to poverty, and then attacking the really hard problems like Global Warming, terrorism, and war.

    ReplyDelete